Monday 2 January 2012

Happy 2012 and a little think about 2011

Wow! We are two whole days into 2012! I have a very good feeling about this year, whatever the doom and gloomers may say about the state of the world! :)


SO.. Happy New Year to everyone, wishing you all luck, health and happiness in 2012!

2011 was a fantastic year for us here at Vintage Pixie. We have learned a lot of valuable lessons about business, what works for us and what doesn't and hopefully have a good idea how to take Vintage Pixie on to a bigger and brighter future.

Some of my personal highlights have been:

- How well received the idea of our furniture makeover service has been received and used. I LOVE being able to help people save money and help the environment by keeping their old furniture and giving it a new lease of life!
You can see some of our bigger projects here: Horley Makeover album
and here: Berkhamsted makeover album

- Our first bit of magazine coverage! Just a small feature of one of our Willow Hearts in Perfect Wedding magazine, but still mucho exciting for us media coverage virgins! ;)

- Our first vintage/handmade fairs. The fairs we organised in Shalford in June and December were fantastic and a great success. It has been amazing meeting so many fantastic sellers and customers through this, we hope to carry on the fairs into 2012 so if any of you vintage/handmade sellers out there fancy it do get in touch! :)

There have been many, many more highlights this year, but I won't bore you with them all. We've had a fantastic year and I hope that Vintage Pixie will only grow stronger in 2012 as we really find our feet in this crazy world of self-employment!

It hasn't all been wonderful and glorious, we've made some mistakes and learned some lessons too. The most valuable one being that sometimes no matter what you do, or how well you mean, some people will never be a positive influence and there's nothing you can do to change that. You can only control your own behaviour, no one else's.

But... Onwards and Upwards! Here's to 2012!

My New Year's Resolution for Vintage Pixie is really to push the furniture side of things a lot more this year - the makeovers, the finder service and hopefully getting more of our stock items out to new marketplaces. 2011 has taught me that that is really where our strengths lie and we should play to them.

I also want VP to really be a supportive voice for other small businesses. I've witnessed so much bitchiness that just feels so unnecessary, I truly believe there is room for a diverse range of players whatever your industry, us small businesses are all in the same boat at the end of the day - trying to make it in a hard economic environment and doing amazing things with our creativity and talents! :)

I have my own personal resolutions too.. As well as the usual lose weight, drink less, spend less etc. I want to make some big changes at home, learn some new skills and be a LOT more organised. I will keep you posted on those as soon as they're more concrete!

Thank you to all of you who have supported Vintage Pixie in the last year, it's beyond appreciated!

Did you make any New Year's resolutions? I'd love to hear about them! :)

2 comments:

  1. All good stuff...I totally agree that we are all in this together and there is enough room for everyone to have a slice of the cake. My own resolution is to lose weight for my daughter's graduation....I am fed up with being the fattest woman in the photos and not being able to wear nice clothes. I also want to realise a couple of ideas that have been bubbling away and most of all, make more money out of my business. I need to get better organised with my accounts as well. So much to do, so little time. I wish you and your daughter every success this year and can't wait until your next fair. Met some lovely people at the last one; see you soon for a catch up, coffee and cake (not for me, though). From Gazehound Vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, thanks for the comments! And good luck with all your resolutions! Just to let you know though - any business organising stuff and social media twitter/facebook/blog/pinterest/google+ is all me (Emily) not mum! :o) I'll pass the cake etc comments on though I'm sure she'd be up for meeting upx

    ReplyDelete